Security Camera Coverage

Public Landing Page Forums Conversations Security Camera Coverage

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Avatarmatt.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      globalglobal
      Participant

I don’t know if it would be helpful, but I started thinking about how many people on my block have security cameras and how we could possibly map out areas that are covered (maybe just public areas, not the ones that are focused solely on your home).  For instance, I have one camera on the back of my garage that will start/stop recording about 3 houses away. Same with the camera on my front porch. My thought being that we could possibly assist each other in case a neighbor doesn’t have cameras or if the cameras they do have don’t pick up an incident. Just a thought.

–Below is just a rough idea of what I was thinking.

Keymaster

Sounds like a plan to me!

globalglobal
      Participant

The only rub I could see is how public the map would be and how easily it could be exploited.

For example, I have a smart thermostat I haven’t connected to the internet because I worry that usage data hacked at the manufacturer’s end would amount to a schedule and a roadmap to homes that are predictably unoccupied based on when the heat or AC are on. That’s an extreme illustration, but relevant.

Perhaps a voluntary disclosure form, including coverage direction and range, with limited access and a clear purpose for how and when it will be used would encourage participation instead of suspicion. We definitely wouldn’t want to create a public map of where cameras aren’t.

A friend of mine who still teaches at UK helped create this map years ago of private and public security cameras in midtown Manhattan. Something like it could be very helpful if an incident occurred. Designated admins would be able to contact individual residents to ask them to check their footage. I actually put out a similar call today regarding the tire dump in the alley. A map like this would have made it much easier to know who to contact directly instead of just a general request.

https://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs/issues/98jul/count.htm

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.